The SymplySPARK is extensively tested before shipping, factory configured to RAID 5 and formatted macOS Extended (Journaled).
To use the SymplySPARK on Windows, it will need to be reformatted to NTFS
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1 - System Requirements
- 2 - Confirm you have everything
- 3 - Prepare for installation
- 4 - Install Symply RAID Manager and driver
- 5 - Reformat the volume to NTFS
1 - System Requirements
A computer with:
- Thunderbolt 2*
- Thunderbolt 3
- Thunderbolt 4
*Requires Apple Thunderbolt Adapter - not supplied (part number MMEL2ZM/A)
- macOS version 10.13 or later
- Windows 10
2 - Confirm you have everything
- SymplySPARK 8 Bay with 8 x HDDs
- Symply Thunderbolt 3 Certified Cable 2m (6.5ft) 40Gbps 100 W Charging 5A/20V Active Type-C
- 2m (6.5 ft) IEC power cord for local region
3 - Prepare for installation
3a - Prepare your SymplySPARK
Before powering on the system, ensure that none of the ventilation holes or the FAN module are blocked or obstructed. Make sure that there are no obstructions around the system that might restrict air flow. Ensure that the environment is within the specified operating conditions specified in this document.
Power On Note: The power on process takes on average 40 seconds, and the system will beep once the POST (Power On Self Test) checks have been completed and the controller heartbeat LED will flash Green @ 1Hz (once per second) signalling the unit is ready
Never turn off, remove power, or disconnect the Thunderbolt cable from the host computer while the SymplySPARK RAID volume is mounted on the host computer. Always eject the volume first before powering off the system or disconnecting the Thunderbolt cable.
4 - Install Symply RAID Manager and driver
- Plugin the power cable, the supplied Thunderbolt cable and power on the SymplySPARK
- Download the Windows installer from the [SymplySPARK - Downloads page]
- Install the driver following the onscreen installation instructions, you will be prompted to restart your computer
- Go to the Thunderbolt Control Center and make sure SymplySPARK is shown as a connected device. If it is not set as connected, we recommend setting it to always connected
5 - Reformat the volume to NTFS
Right-click on the Start Menu and select Disk Management
When Disk Management opens, verify the SymplySPARK is attached. As seen below, where it is shown as Disk 1 (in this example). Make sure to correctly identify the disk number and make a note of it for later in this process.
Once verified, right-click on the Start Menu and select Command Prompt (Run as administrator), alternatively type CMD and Enter into the Windows search bar
IMPORTANT: The next steps will erase the selected drive without confirmation. Please be sure that the correct Disk number has been identified
In the command prompt
Type diskpart and press Enter
Type select disk x and press Enter (x = disk number from Disk Management)
WARNING: The next step is destructive to all data on the selected disk. Ensure you have selected the correct disk.
Type clean and press Enter
Once the DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk message is displayed, you can close the Command Prompt window.
Go back to Disk Management and right-click the Disk that shows a red down arrow and click Initialize Disk
The disk should already be selected, make sure it is set to GPT and click OK
Right-click the now Unallocated drive and select New Simple Volume
Continue through the wizard, naming you drive as appropriate
Once done, your drive is now ready to use on Windows
If you see an error message at the Initialize or Create Simple Volume steps, please see this [support article].
If you have any questions please submit a [support ticket]