How to perform Test Cartridge & Media
In order to perform the Test Cartridge & Media diagnostic (Function E), the SymplyLTO tape drive needs to be in Maintenance Mode, please only enter Maintenance Mode or perform the Test Cartridge & Media if you are instructed to do so by a member of the Symply Support Team.
This test determines whether a suspect data cartridge and its magnetic tapes are acceptable.
CAUTION: The Test Cartridge & Media diagnostic is destructive to any data on the data cartridge, please only use a scratch (blank) data cartridge only for carrying out this test.
The Test Cartridge & Media has a run time of approximately 15 minutes per loop and the test is run for 10 loops. Once the test has started, the diagnostics begins the loop sequence.
NOTE: Pressing the Unload button once will abort the test at the end of the current test loop. Pressing the Unload button twice will abort the test immediately. In either case wait for the tape to rewind and unload the cartridge (this make take 5 minutes).
NOTE: If you insert an invalid tape cartridge (or WORM media) and error code "7" will appear on the SCD. If you insert a write-protected cartridge, the error code "P" appears in the SCD. In either case, the tape drive unloads the cartridge and exits Maintenance Mode after the cartidge is removed.
Steps to execute Test Cartridge & Media (Function E):
- Put the SymplyLTO drive into [Maintenance Mode]
- Press the Unloaded (eject) button once per second until the number "E" appears in the Single Character Display (SCD), if you cycle past the code, continue pressing the Unload button once per second until the desired code reappears.
- Press and hold the Unload button for three (3) seconds, to selection number "E" (Function E). A flashing "C" will appear on the SCD
- Make sure that the write-protect on the cartridge is off. Insert a scratch (blank) data cartridge. The SCD will change to a flashing "E" and the test will begin. During the test the drive will unload and unload the data cartridge as part of the test. Do not remove the data cartridge during the test.
- If there is no error detected, the diagnostic will loop and begin again. To stop the loop, press the Unload button for one (1) second and release. When the loop ends, "0" temporarily appears on the SCD, and the SymplyLTO will automatically exit Maintenance Mode.
- If an error is detected during the test, the Fault light flashes amber and the drive will show an error on the SCD. You can check with error on the [LTO troubleshooting] page. To clear the error either turn the power on and off, or press and hold the Unload button for 10 seconds (making sure there is no data cartridge in the tape drive).
If you have any questions please submit a [support ticket]