When investigating LTO drive or media faults, it is often necessary to collect the logs (also known as "dumps") from the LTO drive itself.
IBM provide a graphical utility for doing this, you download a copy of it from [here].
IBM's own documentation on using their utility (IBM Tape Diagnostics Tool (ITDT)), click this [link] to visit their site.
Here are the basics for collecting the drive dump from an attached LTO drive:
- Open ITDT
- Click on the Scan button to discover any and all attached drives
- Click on the drive you wish collect the logs for
- Click on the Dump drop-down menu item and select Dump
- ITDT will now collect the drive dump and display it to you in a tabbed window (to the right of the window)
- Click the button titled Open Log File Location... to access the log files
- Create a zip of the logs and send them via your preferred file transfer service (e.g. WeTransfer) and notify us at:
- When we have the drive dump, we'll analyse it and get back to you with our findings.
If you have any questions please submit a [support ticket]